I know that losing kids is something I'm going to have to deal with in my profession. It doesn't make it any easier! I've lost family, people before, people that I loved and was close to. I thought I wouldn't have a problem with this! Apparently, I did! It showed when I was in the office crying after it was all over. Its just different with children. With adults you can say that they had a great life. They finished school, got married, had a job, had kids, etc, etc. With kids, some of them barley have the chance to learn to walk! Some of them spent everyday of their little lives in the hospital and never saw or experience sunshine, rain, snow, etc, etc. How is that fair? I really do take so much for granted.
Today, I don't see it. I don't understand it. I may never. But I have to have faith that God is in control or I'd lose it! Please just keep all of these families in your prayers. Pray for the children who spend their lives in the hospitals and pray for the families who have to deal with it. Pray for the kiddos who just come into the hospital every now and then, just when they are sick, or never see the doors of a hospital. Pray for children and families everywhere and that God will place His hands around them.
Sorry so somber. Tomorrow with be more uplifting and happy! Stay tuned...


4 comments:
Heather - so sorry to hear about your patient today. I know that God is shining through you to these families. Keep your head up, darling. . .
Love and miss you - Megan
I can't even imagine doing what you do everyday. I have also heard some REALLY sad stories from Bekah. All that I know is that God blessed the two of you with this incredible gift to help comfort the families of those going through things like this. I know it doesn't seem like it now, but I feel like you will grow closer to God through all of the patients you lose. In the mean time, just let me know what I can do to help ease your sadness : (
Heather, my heart is breaking for you. I can't imagine how hard it is to see pain, suffering, and even death each day. You are right to have faith in God, but that still doesn't take the hurt away. At least we can take comfort in knowing that these children are no longer suffering in hospitals with tubes, but rather in Jesus' arms. The real suffering is done by the parents and families left to mourn them. I'll be praying for these parents that you have interacted with, that they can celebrate the life that was, rather than the future that wasn't. I'll also be praying for you, to be the Light shining on these families and situations. You are a wonderful person, and you are doing a lot for God's will right now.
Sorry that this is 5 days after the fact but I feel like you still need to be encouraged. My 2 cents on this are that you are absolutely in the right place, following the right dream. I have had people tell me that they want to do business with me as a financial advisor because I get myself all worked up over whether or not I have put their money in the best place or if I have helped them make the right decision, and from what they have told me my worrying shows them that I care (I figured it would show my lack of confidence and complete belief that I have no idea what I am doing but they didn't read it that way so I'll take advantage of their disillusion as long as I can), but my point is that you question because you care and I wouldn't want anybody spending time with any of my loved ones, in what could possibily be the final moments of their time here on Earth that doesn't care. I would encourage you to consider a new career only on the day that you walk in to the hospital and have a 5 year old patient pass away and not shed a tear. I belief it will be on that day that you have become calloused and too far removed to be giving it your best. Be proud that God has called you to a profession, and that you have lisented to His call, that most people couldn't handle. In no way will your job ever be easy or menial. You have the opportunity to make impacts for the kingdom that will be innumerable. I am impressed with this post and the emotion that you are able to convey thru it. I am extremely proud of you and feel extremely blessed that my brother has found such a wonderful, strong, and Godly woman. Sorry for the length of this comment and the possibility that parts of it don't make sense. I am writing it on my blackberry and it is hard to see what I am writing. I can't wait for you to be home and for you and Matthew to get married and for you to finally and officially be a part of our family. You are only a few short months away from being back so stay motivated, learn all you can, and we will see you soon.
Post a Comment