It's called a Staycation. If you haven't heard the lingo yet, jump on board the Staycation train. It's basically taking a vacation, but staying at home. Hence, Staycation. (I capitalize because it's that great!) Here's some tips from the weekend we had:
1. Time: Pick the amount of time you'd like to have a Staycation. Just a night away? A weekend? A whole week? Either way, its important to pick an amount of time so that you can budget and/or stick to it! It's easy being in the same town to end your Staycation. It's very important that you treat your Staycation like a Vacation. Would you end that early?! I for sure wouldn't!
I suggest a weekend. It's just long enough to feel like you've actually "gotten away" but not so long that your running out of things to do or $$.
2. Money/Budget: There's that ugly word - but it doesn't have to be so ugly! My suggestion is to set aside an amount of money that you want to use for your Staycation. This is important for 3 reasons: 1) It helps you to figure out which things you want to splurge on, because let's be honest, you can't do it all! 2) It helps you to know how much to set back so that your regular budget isn't effected. 3) You get to spend it all without feeling guilty!!!
I suggest separating the amount of money you are allotting yourself to spend. That way, you don't "accidentally" dip into your other money. And SPLURGE on something! We really enjoyed getting to eat wherever/whenever we wanted and didn't have to feel bad about it. We got dessert when we normally wouldn't. We spent the entire weekend, GUILT FREE, because we knew everything was covered and when we returned to life today, nothing would be effected.
3. Hotel/Home: Depending on what you want to splurge on, you can choose to stay in the comfort of your own home, or in a hotel. Home? One idea is to splurge and pay someone to clean it either before or after your Staycation. The good thing about home is no packing, and your completely comfortable! Hotel? It's fun to "get away" without actually going somewhere. By going to a hotel, you get this feeling. Also, you don't have to clean up! I, personally, really like this point.
I suggest Hotel option. No clean up. Fun to "get away". We stayed at The Hutton (Amazing!) and the sound from the TV plays in the restroom. This was Matthew's favorite part!
4. What to do: Since you are staying in town, you have less to plan! Also, no worry about the time needed to get to X destination. No driving for hours, no plane rides, etc. Just a quick trip across town. (Even better, your less likely to get lost!) But that doesn't mean that there is nothing to do. I've lived in Nashville my entire life and we experienced things that I haven't experienced as a child (like Cheekwood Botanical Gardens) and things I've never done (like Nashville Ghost Tours). We ate at Ruth's Chris, somewhere we would never eat at normally. I can bet that you've never been a tourist in your own town. Try it! Wanting to be more relaxed? Try getting massages, mani/pedi, or just cut off your phone and enjoy relaxing with no worries.
I suggest Cheekwood Botanical Gardens, The Frist, any walking trail like the one by Radnor Lake, Nashville Ghost Tour (Franklin has one as well), Antiquing - check out your town's visitor website and go to town (literally!).
5. The phone: CUT IT OFF! We left one at home and only kept one (on silent) for safety/time reasons. It was awesome to get away with my hubby and not be interrupted by text messages, phone calls, twitter updates, etc.
I suggest: get rid of the phones. It really allowed for Matthew and I to really be together.
So go enjoy your Staycation! I can promise it will be a vacation you'll never forget! Pics from ours to be uploaded soon! Sorry Moms!


No comments:
Post a Comment