Monday, September 13, 2010

A Tale of a Two Year Old...

They walk in everyday just bursting with excitement and energy! Most days, they run in - full speed ahead! What do I hear all day?

"Look Mrs. Header!"
"Hi Mrs. Header!"
"Mrs. Header, Hi!"
(Crying)
"I potty!"
"I flush?"
(Crying)
"My Mommy at work!"
...followed by...
"My Daddy at work!"

And of course there are some kiddos that are starting to put full sentences together. So from them you hear while taking them potty: "Your going to pull down my pants Mrs. Header? Mrs. Header, your going to pull down my pants?" I always add, "so that you can go potty, yes." Really? They don't pick up on their ABCs but this they repeat?!

I am a teacher of two year olds. Luckily, I had these kiddos when they were babies before I left and returned as a two year old teacher. So having them again was a breeze. I knew their little personalities, I knew their parents, I just didn't know what all they were capable of.

Did you know that 2 year olds can excrete the most foul smelling odors possible? Did you know that 2 year olds can destroy a room in less than 5 seconds? Did you know that 2 year olds can talk your head off? Did you know that 2 year olds can get away with murder because they can smile at you and your heart melt? Did you know they scream? While happy and mad? Did you know they can cry at the drop of a hat? Get icing all over they face? Somehow in their ears?!

But no matter what craziness they put me through, when they learn their ABCs, learn to count, learn to use the potty - because of something I taught them - it is the greatest feeling in the world. When they hug me, draw pictures for me, want to sit in my lap and have me read a book to them - it warms my heart. Teaching can be sooooo stressful. But it can be the biggest reward ever! While some days are better than others, at the end of everyday, I love teaching! I am so blessed to work with such precious children and amazing parents! I can't wait to get my Masters and teach Elementary school! I am so blessed to have a job where I know that everyday, I have a chance to make a difference. I just hope I that I do.

(I would love to add pics of my kiddos, but would rather not unless I receive parental permission. And none of the kids I found on Google images were as cute as my kiddos, so no pics this post!)

No comments: