
As you all know, I am a Preschool Teacher. As you all probably also know, I'm really a Child Life Specialist in waiting (and trying to be patient I might add) for a position to open up. In waiting, I found teaching. In teaching, I found out I actually like it! I got into this job just expecting to "wait it out" for a CLS job to open up. I figured I'd still be using my degree and working with children (even though they are "normal" and not sick) and it would "work". Who knew it would be exciting and oh-so-interesting? Let me explain...
First of all, none of these children are "normal". Seriously, they all have some little quirk about them. This ranges from literal delays to one that just spits up ALL the time! So its been interesting to say the least. I've dealt with non-stop-not-due-to-being-sick-throwing up, seizing, gas leaks with an almost emergency evacuation, therapies, my own made up therapies, children not eating even when they are starving and not being able to figure out why, learning baby/toddler sign, making a "scratch and sniff" shirt, and pee coming from another hole in the tummy that's not a pee pee hole, and all the while dealing with all the other "normal" joys of children.

While all the crazy things have been on the side of the not so much fun and rewarding, there have been lots of rewards that I wouldn't change for the world. When I make them laugh. When I show them something they've never seen before. When they smile when I walk in the door. When just my hug calms their biggest tragedy for the day. When their parents thank me for the work I've done. All of these things, and more, make all the crazy things totally worth while.
And while I can't wait for my dream job to have a position open so I can start; while I leave some days a lot more unhappy than others; I think God has blessed me more than I realize. For that, I am thankful.


1 comment:
This makes me so happy! I'm super glad that you're loving your job. And you're completely right about God continually blessing you! Isn't there such a peace in that?
Post a Comment