Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Holiday...Celebrate...

I have one simple rule. Enjoy Thanksgiving before jumping to Christmas! I don't listen to Christmas music until at least Thanksgiving day! I don't decorate for Christmas until Thanksgiving dinner is over. I hate that Christmas stuff is put out before Halloween is still a week away! Too premature! Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas! I just feel all holidays deserve their time. One of my fondest memories explains where I get my rule.

My family is, well, huge! My dad is the 6th of 7 children! You can imagine the holidays! For Thanksgiving, we all gathered in my grandparents not-so-huge-house. Every room was filled with family eating, telling stories, talking about their lives, laughing, and simply being together! As soon as us youngsters were done with dinner, the begging began! We begged our parents, our aunts and uncles, even Mamaw and Papaw. Unfortunately, begging went on deaf ears until EVERYONE was done with dinner and the cleaning began. But once that happened, we got our wish! The Christmas Tree was hauled down from the attic and my cousins and I separated the branches (by color of the wirey ends), and then attached them to the metal tree trunk. We then fanned out the wire branches and faux pine needles. After fanning our tree to exact fullness, we decorated our dear, old Christmas Tree with ornaments that have been around since our parents were born! It was the best feeling! You forgot about the tree building every year until you put your fork down on your last bite! And then it hit: Yes! Christmas Tree time!

Thus, Christmas waits until Thanksgiving dinner is over. 

But, sadly, this year, I broke my own rule! I know, I know: I'm a failure to my own memories! Please forgive me! I'm surprised my Mamaw hasn't smitten me from heaven yet! It's Matthew's fault, really. He's obsessed with Christmas! Reality is, I fell into the overwhelming temptation this year! It's our first Christmas married, we have a new house, we're buying Christmas decorations because we have none, then my in-laws brought us Christmas decorations, and Matthew refuses to go along with my tradition and is listening to Christmas music already! I fell, and I fell hard! Not only have all the new decorations gone out, but garland has been put up beside the stocking (yes, stocking is singular because I have yet to order mine and Kate's). Yesterday, we cleaned our house before Matthew went to work (give him props) to the sound of Christmas music! I'm too deep in to stop now! So, next year, Thanksgiving, I promise to give you the credit you deserve!

Happy Thanksgiving! 

1 comment:

Mindy said...

Oh, I know how hard this is! I love Thanksgiving so much. I love what it stands for, how it is celebrated, everything about it. I don't ever mean to shun it. But I sure do love Christmas... It makes it so hard to hold out when the rest of the country is throwing ornaments your way!

This year, I'm forcing myself to wait so that our house can still be decorated for Thanksgiving when we have Thanksgiving with the family. It has been a good enforcement for me.

I hope you guys enjoy your first holiday season (includes both) as a married couple! It'll be great!