Monday, February 15, 2010

What is with the snow?!?

I have lived in Nashville my entire life...yes, that's right...my entire life. Growing up, we prayed for snow days to get out of school. As I grew up, I prayed for snow days not only to get my out of school, but out of work as well. Of course, it never happened! We had one good snow, the Blizzard of 2003, my senior year. It didn't last long and was gone within 2 days or so.

So, my question is, what in the world is up with all this snow now? Now when I have to go to work regardless of snow. Now, when I have to scrap off my car at 6am. Now, when I can't go play in it! This is so not fair! It has snowed, I think, once a week, since Christmas! Now, don't get me wrong, I do love the snow, I just hate that my childhood was robbed of it!

It is funny, though, how the snow can turn people back into kiddos again. I love waking up and immediately looking outside to see how much snow fell while I slept. I still hate walking on it, because I love the clean, crisp look it has when it has just fallen. I woke up this morning and went to let Kate out and saw that some stupid cat walked all over our backyard and driveway. I scrunched my face up and stamped my foot like a 5 year old, and then laughed at myself and how silly I must have just looked. 

My husband laughs at me because I get so wide-eyed at the snow. He grew up in Indiana where snow is second nature. He discovered how very different we think about snow the first Christmas he took me home. I had on a short sleeve shirt and cute flats from my 60 degree Nashville weird Christmas weather. I had a cold and had taken some medicine that knocked me out. I woke up to a winter wonderland! There was at least 3 feet of snow all around me! I asked what happened and when the blizzard hit. Matthew just laughed and said there had been no blizzard, just the North. He laughed at how shocked I was that life went on when there was snow. Here in Nashville, the world shuts down with the chance of snow, forget a real snow!

So, for all you having to get out in this, please be careful. I've tried to explain to Matthew, but we Nashvillians are not equiped to handle snow. So, the streets are awful. For those priviledged enough to stay home, play in it, enjoy it, and then wrap up with tomato soup and grilled cheese for me!

Happy Snow Day (Again!)!

2 comments:

Mindy said...

Amen. What in the world is up with all of this snow?? It's crazy!

Like you, I'd be fine with it if I didn't have to get up in the morning and go to work. But snow days just aren't as fun as an adult.

But it sure is still pretty!

Jamie Frankum said...

Yes, snow days are still pretty!!! But is definitely different as an adult...boo!! haha