So last night Matthew and I had a date night! After a nice home cooked bar-b-que dinner (at the table I might add), we quickly did the dishes and headed of to Krispy Kreme to get some hot doughnuts. Of course we got a whole dozen...do you even know us?!? This plays into my story.
Fast forward to this morning...
I didn't have to be at work until 7am! Which meant I didn't have to wake up unti 5:30am - already a good morning. Before leaving for work, I heated up some doughnuts to eat on the way - even better morning. My car had ice all over it and I couldn't see. So, I turned the defrost on full blast, locked my door, and sat back to enjoy some nice, hot doughnuts and my lovely morning.
Our lights on our garage are motion sensored. And, they only come on one at a time (whichever light gets sensered). So one light was on, lighting up my driveway, as I sat, eating my hot doughnuts and enjoying my lovely morning. I was taken away from my moment of heaven when the other light jumped on. I looked up to see a man with a hoodie on, hood over head of course, walking towards me from MY backyard! I screamed, the loudest and most scared scream I have ever screamed in my life, through the car in reverse and took off down the driveway. My throat still hurts as I write this.
Except for....
As I sped down my driveway to drive off to safety, I glance back at my attacker and see him standing frozen with his hands in the air (you know, the whole, "don't shoot, I don't have a gun" stance). I then see a backpack on his back. I stop...still kept the car in reverse...I'm not stupid! As he walks towards me, I see that it is one of the teenage boys that lives behind us. I roll my window down, he walks as far away as he can, hands still in the air, but close enough so that I can see and hear him. He says, "I'm so sorry! I was just walking to the bus stop. Just walking to the bus stop. It's cold, and this way is closer. I'm just walking to the bus stop. I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry!"
Of course I apologized and explained that he startled me.
And then through tears, shakes, and laughter, I called Matthew. Yelled at him that he heard none of that, and that he would now (for a few weeks at least) be watching me as I get in my car and drive off every morning.
What a morning!


1 comment:
Oh, poor Heather! I bet you were scared to death!! I totally don't blame you! (I'm just impressed that you could speed-reverse down that curved driveway!) Poor teenage boy, too. I bet he felt terrible. I sure hope Matthew likes waking up with you in the mornings from now on! Haha.
Post a Comment