Monday, April 20, 2009

Kids say the cutest things...

Kids do say the cutest things huh?!? They are often very honest! Who can blame them? Isn't that what your mother taught you?

Adam and Gena Hesselrode are two of our best friends in this entire world! We look up to
 them so much; their parental style, balance of work and family, their marriage...the list could seriously go on and on. One thing we love about Adam and Gena are their 3 kids! Davis is 4, Abby is 2, and baby Ethan will be here in around 9 weeks!

One thing that we love is seeing Davis and Abby at church or walking into their home and hearing, "Deuce!!!" yelled from wherever they are standing. That is what they call me, or sometimes Davis adds an Aunt to it, don't ask! Matthew is sometimes Uncle Deuce...haha! I then get two little ones running at me as fast as they can to jump on me and hug me. Now, because they are children, they also turn right around and go back to whatever they were doing (if at church, at home they just grab our hands and make us play too!), but that initial yell and hug makes my day every time!

Skipping over my gushes about Davis and Abby, because I could really go on and on with them...I love them! We'll just fast forward to last night. After dinner, Abby is in my lap and we're playing and laughing. She looks up at me, and with the sweetest voice and most precious smile says, "You have a boogie!" Of course we weren't alone. At this point, all the ladies had moved into one room around one table. They all heard it and giggled just as much as I did. You gotta love her honesty!

That got me thinking about all the things ever said to me by kids. One sticks out. It wasn't said directly to me, but it counts. There is a little boy at school who was being chased by another little girl. Beth, his teacher, said, "Ooooohhhhhhh, she loves you! She loves you!" His reply was simple: "Well, that's fine and all, but I'll tell you what...she doesn't love me more than Jesus! No one does!"

At first, its really easy to giggle and smile at his young, honest heart. But, wow! To have the
mind of a child again! Back to when everything was simple black and white. It was simple for this little boy, Jesus loves him more than anything or anyone! Why is it so hard for us to remember that? And, he wasn't afraid or ashamed to say it out loud and proud!  Talk about
faith, this kid had it, and then some! I wish sometimes that I could have the mind and faith of a child. Where everything is simple, where I'm honest with myself and others, where I love and give more than I take, and where I am simply me, whether people like it or not.

Thanks to Abby for pointing out by boogie last night! Not only did it
 cause me to clean up my nose, but she gave me things to think about, and a smile/giggle every time I think about my embarrassing moment: being told my a 2 year old in front of a group of my friends, "Heather, you have a boogie!"

1 comment:

Mindy said...

I love this story! Davis and Abby are the sweetest things in the world. I can totally picture Abby saying that! It's cracking me up.

What a great lesson learned from that little boy! I have a lot of admiration for that simple heart. It sure is a good reminder. :)