Saturday, June 16, 2012

An Officer and a Graduate...

Hello again! Student teaching officially took over my life! What a whirl-wind these past few months have been. Hopefully, it will get a little crazy again in August! I thought I'd try to re-start (again) my blogging. There are so many exciting things we are anticipating over the next year...that I have to find a place to vent my excitement! Plus, this is an easy way to keep everyone updated.

 I graduated on May 5, 2012! Eek! I am now the proud recipient of a Master of Arts degree in Learning and Teaching. As soon as it comes in, I will also be the proud recipient of a Tennessee Teaching License! I'm going to be a teacher. A what?! A teacher! This has been a long journey, but I'm so happy to be here! I am thankful that God put me on a journey to be here, and didn't plop me into it right after undergrad. I know that I will be a much better teacher now. I have a different view of everything now.

Let's start with education. When I graduated from high school, I went to college because I was told I had to in order to get a good job. I got my "dream job" and realized it wasn't as dreamy as expected. Plus, other priorities were then in place that weren't there as a 20 year old. Like, a family. I want to be a Mommy more than anything. It can, and is, totally done in my previous field. So, I don't want to lead you into thinking it's not possible. (And those Mommies are fabulous! Incredible!) But for me, it doesn't work. Anywho, I decided to get a Masters degree because I wanted to go back to school to teach, and if I'm going back, why not add on right? But somewhere in the Masters world, I developed something new. A love for education! I love learning about how I can be better. What new research is showing me about my field. What new strategies and techniques will make me more effective. Not to mention, all the strategies and techniques that have been in place that work. I like learning! What?! The next part will blow your mind, it is still blowing mine. I'm thinking of getting a Doctoral degree. Now, this is put on hold. I want to teach for a few years, buy a house, start my family, you know...little things. But the thought and hope is there. I mean, I never (in a million years) saw myself receiving a Masters degree. It was too hard and too out of my reach. I thought I wasn't smart enough for something like that. The truth is, I'm probably not; just good enough to sneak my way though. But here I am. So why not continue and open up more avenues for my career?! Plus, it gives me a new goal for years down the road.

The other thing that is different, is that I'm a wife with a dream of becoming Mommy! Like I stated before, in my "dream job" I don't think I would have been happy. That became my "dream job" when I was a 20 year old, single gal looking for something that would look good to other people as well as be something I'd enjoy. Turns out, I should have just brought out the suppressed idea of becoming a teacher all along. Don't start hating on my previous career. It is a fantastic field with fantastic people working there. It just wasn't for me. It took working to realize that. I took a temporary position, but the whole time I was looking to get my Masters in Education. I love the idea and freedom that teaching provides. I can work and be Mommy! I get all holidays, vacations, and snow days with my children. I also get fabulous hours! I know the amount of work that goes into teaching, don't get me wrong. But just coming from it, I know I can do it! I will be happy and confident in this field balancing both worlds. Isn't that what matters?

Let's not forget about Officer Mehaffey. He is loving his job all along! His decision at 21 was the best one ever! He has only grown in his field! He has moved to a new shift and new precinct. We love it! Also, Matthew is doing incredible! This man is now at the top of his stats every week! When I say top, I mean #1 and sometimes #2! He also received his 2nd Chief's coin! This is a commendation that is only able to be given out once a year, if you even get one. Not all Officers do and not every year. Matthew received his 2nd one! I'm so proud of him! I'm going to warn you that this Officer has a long, successful career ahead of him! I cannot wait to see what all God has in store for him!

Matthew is growing in other areas of life too! At church, he started a new Bible study for Men. If you know Matthew at all, this is definitely outside of his comfort zone. Men's Fraternity was greatly received - averaging about 20 something guys every week! I'm so thankful that God blessed this work. Matthew has wanted to do something like this for a while. He prayed and prayed. I can see God working in Matthew and I thank Him for it everyday! Men's Fraternity has paused for the summer, but will pick up again in the fall. (Just a head's up!)

And lastly, our little Katie Bug! She has an update too! She is now being left out of her kennel while her parents are away! I know that many of you are laughing at this, but if you are the owner of a pet who is like your baby, you are appreciating. We have always been nervous to do this with our hyper little pup. And the fact that when we tried it before, Matthew's slippers were all over the house! But she's a mature almost 4 year old. We thought, "let's give it a try. If it doesn't work, she'll just go back up." Katie Bug is loving it! And, surprisingly, not jumping on the furniture while we're gone! :)

So, that's our update! Long, but every bit exciting! Stay tuned as I attempt to regain my momentum as a blogger!

No comments: